Every human sheds hair daily, in fact, an average human sheds between 50 to 100 strands; when it is excessive though, then there is a problem. Hair breakage is as a result of many causes and here a few.
- Styling on wet or drenched hair can cause mechanical damage as hair is very fragile in that state. It is best to style on damp hair instead.
- Overstretching your hair through tight braids, bands or plaits before styling. Wearing protective styles that you’re your hair to much can be damaging as well. Using heat to stretch your hair before styling, such as a blow dryer can also be a culprit
Poor diet is also a factor. A diet low in protein and minerals like zinc and vitamins can lead to weakened hair
- The use of sulphate shampoos.
- Hormonal imbalances, especially during pregnancies
- Sleeping on a cotton pillow case or not wearing a satin hair cover can cause breakage. Cotton dries out the hair and should be avoided either through wearing satin hair cap or scarf at night or using a satin pillowcase.
- Using the wrong combs. Always use wide-tooth comb when combing your hair
- Protein-moisture imbalance. This is essential as any imbalance can lead to breakage
- Coloring your hair can weaken and dry out your strands. Care must be taken after chemically altering your hair to keep it heal.