There is a salient need to dress for your body type. This is because women have different body types and these are determined by bone structure, muscle mass, fat distribution and body type. Regardless of the shape of your body, realize that your shape is beautiful and unique and that there is a need to dress in a way that complements this shape. This is the reason why one outfit would have more fit on one and look ridiculous on the other.
In these series, we will take a look at the different body types and the Dos and Don’ts of outfitting that body type. The first body type we will look at is the Straight Body.
The Straight Body
A straight body is the type of body that measures the same width all through. This means the waist, hips and shoulders are similar in width. With its undefined waistline, this body type tends to look straight and has been called the rectangular or ruler body. The best features of this body type are the arms and legs and the best outfits that should be worn are those that do not accentuate the waist but create curves and show off the afore mentioned best features.
- Long jacket create a lean look
- Scoop neck and sweetheart tops create curves
- Tube tops or dresses with a wide belt that would create an illusion of a waist
- Add layers in your dressing to add more dimensions
- Experiment with colourful bottoms
- Wear dresses with ruching, cinches on the sides are ideal as well
- Detailed bottoms, such as embellished pockets and flap pockets
- Pants with flared legs
- Tiered, full or bubble skirts
- Mid to low-rise waists with wide waistband
- As mentioned earlier, avoid clothes that highlight your waist
- Avoid rigid or shapeless clothes
- Avoid overwhelming styles
Photo Credit: Shopyourshape.com