Hair extensions are a great way to transform your look. In this part of the world, because or the texture of African hair, women usually install full weaves as opposed to Caucasians that may add in a few clip-ins to add volume and length to their hair. When Africans use clip-ins, it is usually of the Afro-kinky variety that match the African hair texture.
Hair extensions can be made from real human hair (donor hairs) or from synthetic fibres. Most synthetic hairs are usually not re-usable, unlike the human hairs that can be washed and kept aside for another use.
Latest asoebi 2019 Styles
Caring for your wefts is as easy as caring for your own hair. It’s all about the products you use and the methods too. Learning how to care for your hair will determine how well they can last for you. Some use their extensions for years!
You can wash your extensions while they are installed on your head or when uninstalled.
Here are steps to put life back in your weave.
- Gently comb out your weave from tips to the root with a detangling brush or a wide tooth comb. This is to help take out any tangles before washing.
- Create a lukewarm water bath of sulphate free shampoo in a wash hand basin or big bowl and gently submerge your extensions in it. Leave it for about 10 mins. This will help loosen out the dirt and oils in the hair. If you want, you can gently use your fingers to comb through the hair.
- Using cool water, gently rinse out the shampoo from the hair.
- Using a good hair conditioner, apply a generous amount on the extensions and this is am extra step for me, I then bag up the extensions and put it in a hot water bath to steam the hair. This will allow the conditioner infuse and soften the hair.
- Take the hair out of the bag and run it under cool water. This will help close the cuticles.
- Using a towel, gently blot out the water. Do not scrunch the hair with the towel and do not comb the hair while it is wet.
- Add some leave in conditioner and air dry the hair. Comb the hair after it is dry.
Once the hair is dry, you can plait or braid it up, put it in a bag for your next use.